Hello Friends and Classmates,
I have just finished the third week of classes here in Chicoutimi. This morning I had a midterm examination, and yesterdy a presentation on the life of Francois de Laval. For those of you who do not know Francois de Laval, he was the first Bishop in North America, having arrived in 1659 after being named bishop of the mission land by Pope Alexander the Seventh. He arrived in Quebec later that year, and was responsible for the unification of the Church. At the time, there were many religious communities in the Quebec area, around the Fleuve de St. Laurent (the Jesuits, the Ursulines and the Augustines, just to name a few).
We are having a costume party tonight, the theme being the Circus -I had some difficulty getting a suitable costume at Dollarama, but I did manage to buy a tambourine and a sunhat, and some other beach toys, I am going to show up in my bathing suit, with a blow-up ring, and some other goodies.
I miss being present in the Quincy Street, and often share my experience and the house's website with my new friends here in Quebec. Maybe we aer getting more hits, I couldn't tell, but I am sure Nathan or someone else could.
This weekend is open, meaning that there are no planned activities. There is talk about a party in the woods, or maybe going to a near by village to hit up some clubs. I am having a lot of fun, but when I think about what I have learned about man's destiny and desire in and for Christ, and the way people live, it seems like there is a crisis of meaning, and that people are not interested in asking deep and profound questions, questions that force you to look and examine your life. There is a severe hostility to any religion, in the past the Church had a lot of control and presence, being responsible for the schools, hospitals, and many other services. The people revolted in the sixties, seeking to liberate themselves from the tyranny of the Church. There is a culture of individualism and relativism that deeply permeates how people address the question of religion and the life and mission of the Church. It is a paradox, if you think about, in the pursuit of liberation and freedom -the people seek to eliminate any trace of religion or relation to others, however this directly leads to the enslavement to one's own measure of success and happiness, or the culture's mediation of success and happiness. Whereas, true freedom, liberation , success, and happiness are the result of communion with Christ and the Catholic Church, an intrinsic relational character with the complete Body of Christ.
Have a great day, and may the intercession of Francois of Laval guide you to whatsover things are true, good and beautiful.
Yours in Christ,
JR
1 comment:
good to hear from you John.
I am sad to report that in the last month there have only been 12 hits from canada, and only one from Chicoutimi (on May 15, viewing two pages for 2:46min).
Post a Comment