Update from Saint John
September 22, 2007
John Roderick
Dear Quincy and friends,
Good morning from beautiful Saint John, New Brunswick.
It has been one month since I returned to Washington, DC to gather up my belongings and say my farewells to you, my beloved roommates from the Quincy Street House. I visit the website every once and a while to get either my weekly or every other week update regarding life and the many events Quincy is hosting. Thanks so much for keeping me on the email list, and for changing my status on the links page to former roommate. It is quite fitting.
I have completed my first week of teaching at Saint Malachy’s High School in Saint John, NB. I graduated from the school in 2001 and many of my former teachers and support staff remain teaching and working at the school. I have many fond memories of my high school years and am happy to be back on the other side of the coin teaching and be in a leadership role. As mentioned, this past week was my first week in the school and I am teaching the grade 9 Core French program. The teacher who was initially hired quit during the first week to take another job and left the position vacant for the school and the local school district to find a replacement. I may be offered the position which would be quite exciting. I would like to take the position if it is offered, even knowing that it is going to be very difficult. However, I think it is going to be a great learning experience (Nathan, I have much more compassion for you and your teaching experience in DC).
I frequently wonder how my boys are doing at Quincy, whether they are getting up to go to Mass at the Poor Clares and having breakfast together; whether CW has been cooking his chicken-sausage pasta dish, whether NC and PH are still staying up late drinking (well. I am pretty I know the answer), whether EB is talking about “being as gift”, whether JL is still playing that same video game, whether JK is enjoying his first semester of teaching philosophy. Whether AL is mixing up some of his fantastic coffee cake and working on his website. All in all, I hope you are all “stepin it up”, or will begin to. Gentlemen, you are all deeply missed, the community and friendship we shared together for the last two years was awesome. You have all taught me a lot, and have helped form me into who I am today.
What have I been up to? “Steppin’ it up” of course!
I have taken on the leadership role of CL “School of Community” group in Saint John, it is a wonderful companionship. It involves a lot of time with the texts of Giussani but I thoroughly enjoy it as you know. I miss your occasional teasing of the CL jargon, but know if and when I return to Quincy I will get my usual dose.
I am attempting to start a Communio Study Circle in Saint John as well. There is interest from about a dozen people and we are going to start with a text by Cardinal Ratzinger celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the founding of the review. It is a great text, as I am sure both CW and EB can attest. Please keep these initiatives and my family and friends in your prayers.
I would like to return at some point during the year to visit, maybe Thanksgiving or Easter. Hopefully, it will be a time when we can be together for at least a weekend and maybe longer.
Please give my best to all the JPII students and all our many friends from the Coffeehouses and Lord’s Day gatherings.
Sincerely, JR
No comments:
Post a Comment