Testimony for March 2009 John Roderick
April 27, 2009
It is hard to believe that I finally find myself with a free evening to write the witness for the month of March, I was not sure if I as going to get an opportunity to return and judge the events lived and experienced during this time.
This period of time during the liturgical year, Lent, a time of preparation and penitence, time of silence and prayer, trying to grow closer to Christ as he journeys to the Cross and the Glory of His resurrection. I remember having many questions regarding the direction of this year, and looking for signs of growth that bear witness and give confirmation of this time of discernment. I remember experiencing what seemed to be a distance from God’s presence, however, the contemplative way of life at the house of formation helps one to enter more fully into the logic of Christ’s life, which helps illumine these times of distance and trial. It is kind of exciting at the same time, since it really forces one to one’s knees and to learn to ask the Mystery for signs of His presence and love. I remember a dear brother from the house of formation comment during a school of community gathering at the Lateran University, mention that everything that is given to man, his circumstances, his struggles and difficulties, are given to him in order for him to come to a better understanding of God’s love for man, to educate man to the logic of God’s love for the world, our circumstances are the concreteness of the path to God, the positivity of reality to sum it all up. We should not have any fear or hesitation because we have a loving Father, who gives man all of reality, creation to us, in order to show us His Awesome love, and to respond to him. This was a real treat during the month of March since it was during this time that many of the trees, plants and shrubs all begin to blossom and flourish. The colours were incredible, a concrete sign of the new life God promises to all of us. Most days during the month, following lunch-pranzo, I would go and read in the park for an hour, and afterward pray mid-day prayer, followed by a walk along the trail between the many olive and fruit trees we planted in late November. The signs of new life, and memory of the work the guys completed together back in the later fall, and seeing it come to fruition only months later, was a great help and pointed to the logic of patience and time of another. We don’t necessarily choose how we are going to be reborn, but must say yes when this time is presented to us, we must walk with the light of Christ, knowing that our life is going to be a constant death and rebirth with and in Christ. I still remember with fondness words don Jonah told me one evening in the car coming home from the presentation for Marcello Para’s book, that our life is a gradual path towards Christ, a grace filled journey that brings us ever closer to his cross in order to be fully reborn in his resurrection.
Julian Carron came to the house to meet with the priests who follow the Fraternity of Communion and Liberation on Monday March 2nd. There were close to a hundred priests from Rome, and southern Italy who made the assembly. These events are held 3-4x a year, for the priests to come together with Carron for a large Assembly working on the text of School of Community. Carron responds to questions, and corrects false reading and judgments. During the afternoon, we met with the seminarians and priests from the House of Formation, and highlighted the filial relationship between the Father and the Son, and our mission to bear witness to this relation. As well, our mission to grow in awareness of our own participation in this mysterious relation, and that it is this relation which fundamentally describes who we are.
That’s right, a little bit of sons in the Son action. Carron share his initial meeting with the writings of Giussani and Communion and Liberation, and how it really impacted his seminary formation. How it overcome a certain dualism that separated faith and the concreteness of life. One of the constant themes since he has taken over as superior of CL, is his constant emphasis on the contemporaneous of Christ’s presence in the world, how there is not one aspect of our life that is not called to taken up in our relationship with Christ, how we have been given out lives in their completeness to live out the drama of being a relation to the mystery. To live intensely the real, chapter 10 of the Religious Sense, which reveals the concreteness of the Incarnation as the unique key to understand all of our experiences. All of creation has been given to serve and be of service to our relationship with Him. We must accept the challenge of living this way and try to enter and deepen our understanding of thus mystery every day, to enter and follow this adventure. Nothing can be negated, everything is taken up, the link is stronger and more present than the mother child relationship.
March was almost the month of preparation for my parents visit to Rome, they would leave in early March and arrive on Wednesday April 1st for three days. When they were on the boat –cruise ship, I took some pictures of around the house and park to prepare them to see and be welcomed at via Boccea. These pictures can be found at the pictures link on the website. My parents on their two previous trips and visits to Rome found the weather to be the pits, cold and damp, I wanted to show them how warm the weather was, and how many weeks ahead the growth and maturation of the plants and flowers. There was some anxiety and nervousness during this time of preparation, not knowing how the guys would react, or what I would tell them, my parents, about my friendships with the guys. I remember at times feeling a little embarrassed to admit the truth about some of the friendships, or at least my perspective on them. But there is a great revelation of our humanity, I find constantly a real interest in examining the human condition, our ability to commit charitable actions and be mean at the same time, to love and be in front of the unity and totality of my life and the lives of the others, is the path to love the destiny of the other in Christ. To witness to the grandeur of His misericordia for the world, and the logic of the incarnation, that Christ really chooses to continue to make himself present in the flesh, and in the flesh of real concrete people, the scandal of being in front of our limited humanity and recognizing it is only through the grace and love of another, that his project will come to fulfilment. It is wild as well, to think that God, the author of all of creation depends on each of our yes’s to Him.
Friday March 6th was a meeting with the psychologist regarding the formation of seminarians. It is required that all the guys in their first two years of seminary formation meet with the psychologist to share a little bit of our personal history and significant events that have moved us to seek the path of ordained priesthood. I really enjoyed this meeting, for it gave me a time to give thanks for the wonderful gift I have received at home, year that’s right, the gift of being loved, and being introduced to the many dynamics that love and friendship take on. Too much could be written here.
Around the same time, I had to prepare a testimony for the Parish mission, recalling the main events that have led me to be where I find myself. Taking time to reflect on my history, memory, making present what has happened to me in my life, what I have met, and recall who it is that God used to reveal His presence to me, the path of communion and liberation. The friendship with Brandon from St. Francis Xavier and his inviting John Zucchi to the campus in the fall of 2003, and beginning School of Community in Halifax with Brandon, Robert Bruce and Margaret King. Also highlighting some of the events during the first year, and my experience coming to Rome last year during May and June, and how that led me to ask to return and enter the novitiate year.
Another important event that marked the month was my first parish mission, at Badalucco, Italy, in the Liguria province. I would leave on a Friday afternoon March 6th with PPL, Paolo Pietrolungo, from Montecassino, the little fella’ that likes to talk, is very friendly. Mom, Dad, Paolo is the one who sat directly in front of you at the supper with the guys in first year, and speaks English moderately well. We would arrive for supper at Genova at PPL’s benefactors and leave from Genova early Saturday morning for our respective parish missions. This weekend was quite exciting, I remember asking Jonah about the possibility of attending one of the missions, we had a sign up sheet on our information board. I initially was hesitant, knowing that still have a little difficulty with the language, and it would require meeting and greeting lots of people in a parish setting. The priest who initially was scheduled to be with me was Marcus Merz, a priest who lived in Montreal for many years, and good friend of Jonah. However, it changed to Giovanni Mussazi , (my friend the runner, a little bit crazy but a heck of a good runner) and then again the week before to Gabriele Foti. I was pleased to go with Foti since his main responsibility at the time being is to organize these parish missions. I know that I could not go wrong being with the man with the most experience.
A couple weeks before the mission, all the guys in first year who were to do the various missions all on the same weekend, were briefed with what to expect and a little introduction to the parish to where we would be attending, and the parish priest. As well, as the type of materials we would be bringing and what a typical parish mission looks like. Following our Friday night stay at Paolo’s benefactors, we rose early and returned to the train station, near the large statue of Christopher Columbus, and took the train another three hours to Tahgia, where we would meet the priests who we were paired up with. Paolo was with don Aldo from Fresilone. A nice young lady from the school of community in the area picked me up to take me to Badalucco, where I would meet up with Foti and the parish priest, don Antonio from Romania. This was really nice since don Antonio had his sister and her son at the parish house to help with meals and cleaning. We ate traditional Romanian food all weekend, and I was able to share my experience of being in Oradea, Romania and travelling to various parts during the 16 day Service Learning trip at St. FX. After lunch we met with the elementary and middle school kids, first entering the Church where don Antonio had organized a 40 hour Eucharistic adoration devotion to prepare for Easter. I was a little shocked about how cold it was in the Church, and could see my breath, and the kneelers were from a couple of centuries past. I was wild. There were confraternities with their various outfits, statues and crucifixes, and staffs with paintings of various saints on them. A first experience for me. Well, during the afternoon session with the kids, Foti and I talked about the fraternity and being missionary priests. What does that concretely mean for someone at this age was a little tricky to get across. However, I told them my story and what has led me to come to Rome from Canada. Afterward we played games in the small outdoor court, tag, dodge ball, jumping rope, and a couple more. I loved it, playing with the kids, chasing them and teasing them, showing them some tricks with the jumping rope, and playing paper rocks scissors. I think Foti thought I was half crazy, but I felt very much myself. I loved introducing myself and trying to make everyone feel included and welcomed. This was a very special experience of paternity, being so many different kids in a new place, and new language and sharing my passion and joie de vivre. I was very happy to have this opportunity, and found it hard to have to leave these little fella’s to attend to another activity later in the afternoon.
Overall we helped out at 5 masses, and I gave a witness following the homily at each one. We met with the adults from the parish Saturday evening and showed the film, Il Vento di Dio, I gave a testimony and we both answered various questions. At times it was a little frustrating trying to get everything coordinated, and learning the schedules and various nuances in parish life. We ate at a lovely pizzeria Saturday evening near the parish with the adults from a near by school of community. They would prepare and sing a couple of songs before showing the film. Following every Mass, I would go to the back of the parish and hand out Fraternity and Mission, our monthly journal, and as well sell our books and other materials, or just be present to meet with the various parishioners. I went on a lovely walk Sunday afternoon, around the hills and got to see the work and labour of the Italian people. It is something incredible to see how much they depend from the earth, and work and cultivate the grounds. It seems like it is really important for their culture, and helps to better understand the closeness many Italians have of their beloved country. It was wild to think about how many generations of people had been there. There was a beautiful creek along the town, and many other interesting things to see. We would leave early Monday morning for Rome, don Antonio took us to the train station, and I was able to sneak a couple pieces of fruit for a snack. We would later meet up with Paolo and don Aldo and make the trip to Rome together. Foti got off at Genova and continued to make rounds at various parishes, meeting many priests and communities interested in hosting the fraternity for a weekend parish.
Many of us attended a symphony at the Olympic park on Monday March, 9th. The Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia Symphony played Beethoven’s 7th at the Olympic Park. We initially planed to attend a concert in January but when we went to buy the tickets they were all sold out. Following an early dinner, we piled into the pulmino’s- van’s and went to Olympic Park, many of us got dressed up with pressed pants and dress shirts, and a couple of us in ties. We wanted to look good going out with don Massimo and Jonah, show our superiors that we have a little class. The music hall was near where Fr. Julian Carron gave an introduction to the book Se Può Vivere Cosi?, last year, where Fred Proux gave the play by play translation. Our seats were a little bit scattered, which I remember being a little frustrated about since I purchased one of more expensive tickets and ended up being in the second last row of the theatre hall. At intermission, we enjoyed talking about the violin soloist, who put on a real show, got the audience fired up with his antics. It was a lot of fun to be there together, and be reminded of the education I had received at home, and from parents taking of us kids to the New Brunswick Symphony concerts while growing up. Dad, resting his eyes, sleeping ten minutes into the second intermission. Jonah shared a little bit of his experience playing violin, and orchestral experience, making it all the way to first violin. I enjoyed reminiscing of Bob McCausland and Hellen Gollings, Chris Buckley and Julie McCormick, their patience with me, and mom and dad’s cash put out for private lessons. I enjoyed sharing my experience with the other guys, and commenting on what I liked about the music. It was a real treat to take in a concert, and to do it together.
March provided me with two significant projects, written assignments in Italian: An analysis of Benedict’s Regensburg address in the light of the encounter between Greek Hellenism and the Jewish and Christian faiths, as well, as a shorter assignment on Augustine’s Confessions. The analysis of the Regensburg address was to be presented to the university as my written project for the year, and turned into a hefty 20 page report. God bless my Italian teacher for reading and correcting it with me, Grazie Illaria. All that I want to say at this point is Ratzinger is the man when it comes to understanding the nature of reason, and how this analysis is at the heart of Christianity. Saint Augustine’s Confessions turned into an explosion of spiritual growth, and better understanding of the logic and meaning of Christianity, and how the encounter with Christ really takes up and illumines all aspects of one’s life. We are called to give God Glory for our good and bad actions, recognizing the unity and totality of our lives, and how everything is called to be taken up in our relation with the Mystery. Again too much could be written here.
On March 11th I asked our superior and founder don Massimo Camisasca on his availability for a meeting with my parents. I was a little nervous asking him, for our relationship has been a little slow to get rolling. I remember feeling really giddy and excited that my parents were going to get to meet and share a meal with him and our vice rector Jonah. Afterward I immediately sent an email to the family, sharing the good news and asking for prayers for their visit and meeting with the superiors and new friends at the house of formation.
March 12th was our first School of Community for the year among the philosophy students at the Lateran University. I remember being a little frustrated, and mentioned it to Jonah, that we were not able to organize and commit to doing School of Community among the philosophy students. I wondered why, and was a little shocked at the lack of interest and desire for sharing what we have met in the environment which we study. However, this was soon to change for the better. It got back to don Massimo that many of us were unsatisfied and a little scandalized, and our house meeting for the month of March was dedicated to re-understanding the importance and centrality of School of Community for our lives. The Fraternity of Saint Charles exists to bear witness to the experience don Luigi Giussani had of God and of man, the text’s we read are a help to enter into this vision of God and of man. I hope to translate this meeting for it really hits at the heart of the meaning of School of Community.
March 15th, Sunday morning following Mass, Umbe asked me if I wanted to work in the garden with him for a half an hour. Lone and behold we ended up working for close to four hours with the electric chain saw chopping all the wood that we had gathered from the trees we planted. Again pictures were taken and are present on the website. I must confess that I took a short break to run into the house and listen to the Pope’s Angelus message, regarding his trip to Angola and Cameroon, and a short reflection on St. Joseph and how he had to take Mary and Jesus into Egypt. I was pretty excited afterward running back to the park and tell Umberto the good news. It seems like I am the only one who gets supper excited about the Pope. We finished cutting the wood before lunch, and decided that neither of us wanted to stack all the wood. It was kind of funny after cutting all the wood, that neither of us had any idea who was going to stack it. It looked like a large truck had dropped a load of wood off for the winter and left. Lone and behold, I was the only one who would work to stack the wood during the week. I remember one morning rising at 5am, and after releasing the alarm, stacking wood for close to 75 minutes. I wanted to have it all stacked before don Massimo was to return back to the house from his week at Porciano.
March 16th, Monday afternoon the Fraternity of St. Charles held their monthly Incontro delle Case, a meeting over skype, audio conference with all the houses of the community around the world. Looking back in my diary, I remember really being moved by the many priests testimonies of the concreteness of the experience of hope. Priests in Siberia, Taiwan, Prague, Nairobi, Kenya. With the recognition of the concreteness of Christ’s presence in our lives, we are able to stay in front and address our difficulties and the difficulties of others. We cannot necessarily solve all of their problems but we can be with the people, as a sign of a new humanity, a sign of hope for the world, to accompany the people that we are given in our various settings, to encourage them to be courageous in how they have to deal with the many situations they are being asked to deal with. Sustaining others reveals and helps to better understand how I am sustained by the people I have been given to live with in the house, I am first sustained in order that I may help sustain others in their trials. At the heart of all this is a great grace, the grace which Peguy comments and explains in the chapter on Hope, when we are awoken to the fact what we have a loving Father everything changes, the awareness of our baptism, and that we belong to God, and are a relationship with Him. These facts when witnessed to, change the world, we must become more aware of our filial relationship, and live this relation more intensely. A seminarian who I got to live with last year, recognized how important it is for him to change and become more convinced of what he has been living and studying throughout the years, to change the world and make Christ know through what we live, we must first change ourselves and live this changed humanity. If we don’t have this concrete experience, how can we witness it to the world, it will not be credible if it is not embodied. We must always turn our gaze to His measure of reality, and not be imprisoned in our own pre conditions and judgments, we are seeking to enter into His gave and measure of reality. Sottopietra highlighted the experience of the child, how he recognizes the positivity of the world, and carries a gaze of hope unlike adults. To return to this experience of the world, and of the future, that the world is good, and it is given for us as the path to discover our relationship with God, and others, of his mercy, tenderness and love. The unity that we live together, la vita commune, must be the rock that sustains all of our life, the heart of what we give testimony to. The place where we are regenerated in Christ.
Sandy Macdonald, a good friend from Antigonish who is studying at the Pontifical English College here in Rome invited me to attend a play he and the fellow seminarians were performing. As well, I received an invite to attend the North American College for brunch Sunday morning and attend the Papal audience, with friends from the John Paul II Institute conference in February Sperare Nell’Amore. I was a little disappointed since I was not able to find anyone interested in attending after asking a half a dozen people. It is funny at times the responses people give when I ask to do things I particularly want to do. I have a little difficulty trying to understand the desire to be with these people that interest me very much, and at the same time an inability to share an integral part of my life and history with the guys at the house. However, God takes up every aspect of one’s history.
On Wednesday March 18th, we again had some difficulty with compieta, night prayer. I remember thinking as I went into the chapel and saw who was present that a disaster may be evident , but I decided that we should be able to pray without any difficulty. One of the difficulties is that there were only four of us in the chapel, Andrea Aversa, Agapitus from Africa, Umberto and I. Agapitus led us off with the song, and it was evident that we were not going to get through without busting a gut laughing. However, we got through the hymn without too much difficulty and were about to begin the psalms, when Aversa busted out a large laugh snort after Umberto had sat down on a breviary. I lost it following Aversa and immediately excited the chapel, to pray in don Massimo’s private chapel. The guys told me the following day, that they had to start fresh from the start and could not contain themselves.
Festa di San Giuseppe. Thursday March 19th we celebrated the tenth anniversary of the pontifical recognition of the Fraternity of San Carlo as community of Apostolic Life. We all stayed home at via Boccea, and a testimony was planed for one of our missionaries don Carlo Grillini. We celebrated with a solemn Mass at noon hour, with many wonderful hymns that we had prepared from the beginning of the week, many of us got dressed up, and don Konrad gave the homily reminding us of the importance of Saint Joseph as Patron of our community, and his providential help throughout the many years. The Solemn Mass was followed with a feast of a pranzo, I remember sitting with my spiritual director at the table, and having smoked salmon and nice cheeses as an appetizer, seafood pasta for the first course, and fish, along with a tasty dolce which I remember getting a second helping. Carlo and I went running during the morning hours, and finished stacking the last pieces of wood. I rose at the usual time, 6am and took time to pray and walk around the garden, morning prayer was at 9am. One of the projects on my mind was the paper I was finishing up on the Regensburg address, it had been coming along, and I remember that I stayed home for the first time, not attending the lessons at the university, in order to work on the paper. My dean of studies was a little anxious for me to get the paper done and in, he had wanted the papers on Monday the 9th of March, and thankfully finished it up the afternoon of the Feast of San Giuseppe. Later in the day, we had our house meeting, Incontro della Casa, on the theme of School of Community. Thank goodness I finished my paper with only about 20 minutes remaining before the beginning of the meeting. I was a little upset that I was not adequately prepared for the meeting, and would have liked to share my experience, and frustration and recent rebirth in the seriousness of the work.
Friday morning March 20th, prof. Konrad mentioned to me while at the bookstore at the Lateran University that there was a conference at the John Paul II University on Saint Paul, to celebrate the Pauline year. He mentioned that both Michael Waldstein and his wife would be giving a paper in the morning, and that he would attend after giving his ethics class. I quickly got orientated and went to the Institute to check out the times of the conference, and see who was presenting. Lone and behold my former professor Joe Atkinson, from Washington, DC had moderated a panel discussion the previous day. I arrived to hear the Waldstein’s give a presentation on John Paul II’s theology of the Body, and left midway through don Bruno Ognibeni’s presentation to attend part of the Medieval Philosophy lecture. Following the lecture, I immediately returned to the Institute conference to catch the final part of the lecture and the beginning of the question period. One of the things that was kind of funny was that knowing that Joe Atkinson had presented the previous day, I looked over and over throughout the conference room trying to spot him, and in the front rows were all the conference speakers, but I just could not see him. With five minutes to spare before having to catch up with the guys and return home, I hear that Dr. Atkinson has a question, there is this man that has masked his identity. Well, what I want to say is that he looks completely different and very sharp with the beard. Upon leaving I asked a friend, girl from America who I met at the previous JPII Institute conference and who is studying in Rome, to let Dr. Atkinson know that I saw him, and would like to get in touch if possible.
Upon returning home, I fire off a quick email, trying to get an idea whether he is available to get together and how long he would be in Rome. I responded having learned that I saw him at the conference, and we planned to meet Saturday evening for dinner. He was to spend Saturday in Assisi, and I was pretty busy with the house activities and charitable work in the afternoon.
We watched a great movie that Friday evening, an Alfred Hitchcock film that took place in Quebec, and tells the story of a priest who was accused of murder, and heard the confession of the killer. Very interesting.
Following Charity work, which I love, meeting and being with the elderly at the old persons complex, I prayed evening prayer and headed into the city to meet up with Dr. Joe Atkinson. I arrived at his hotel, the one beside the Basilica of the Holy Cross in Jerusalem, and waited for him to arrive. I was a little anxious since I arrived close to 45 minutes early, and did not know that he was going to be late. However, I brought Una Voce Nella mia Vita, a wonderful book my don Massimo to read. Upon his arrival, we both got freshened up and went to a little restaurant nearby. It was great to sit and chat and get caught up, at times it felt like we were a bunch of little boys out and looking for trouble, crossing the road in front of a little traffic. We had a splendid visit, and I got to learn a lot about his family which I am very appreciative of.
Night of Poetry with don Massimo, on Tuesday March 24th our rector and founder of the community invited us to an evening of poetry and explanation. We listened to a couple of poems, and he gave explanations of the poets and the major influences upon their lives. We learned where the title of the book Una Voce… came from. It was a lovely evening with many of the guys in first year attending, we met in his office and had an apperativo. A nice time to stay and follow, and be with don Massimo.
The following Wednesday, on the Feast of the Annunciation unto Mary, we celebrated the temporary vows of Elena Rondelli of the Missionary Sisters of San Carlo Borromeo. There was a Mass at the Magliana Parish, with the bishop of the diocese, Mons. Gino Reale, it was a lovely witness of the beauty of the gift of self, the free gift of self to a community, to Christ in the form of the community of the missionary sisters. I was moved during the day. She is the second to received the habit, and Sr. Rachelle was the one who helped put the veil on. I moved in particular by the beauty of the Mass and celebration, of the choir, and of the gift the missionary sisters gave, the gift of a song to honour and celebrate Elena. They have an ability much different from the men. An ability for attentiveness and following. A couple of us remarked afterward that it seems like they have a capacity for a beauty much different than us men. We had a nice meal afterward at the Oratorio of the parish, and got to see Fred, the other American seminarian. It was a lot of fun, we all got dressed up in our suits and ties, and had a grand time. The missionary sisters even put together some frizzies to celebrate. Kristen’s mother was in town for the week, and I was able to welcome her, and be present to her at the house of formation. We ate a couple of meals together, and shared a lit of my experience living and studying in the USA. It was nice to be able to welcome her, and make her feel at home. I teased don Paolo Sottopietra a little bit, calling him Fr. Paul. Reminded me a bit of Fr. Paul MacNeil. We talked a little bit about March Madness basketball, and the Jayhawks, I was cheering for North Carolina and picked them to win. I sent a bracket to Chris Wilson of the Quincy Street, but did not hear back from him.
Near the end of March, I was informed by a good friend don Giovanni Musazzi that he would be leaving for Portugal earlier than expected. Musazzi was my running buddy, who I really took a liking to. I still remember the first time I asked him whether he would like to go running together. Our first run, offering it up for our sins, his army songs, and movie explanations and commentary. His many questions about contemporary American culture that I was unable to answer. However, the times spent together running were very special, being at his side, learning a lot about Italian culture, and the history of the Fraternity, his work with the Superior General. I was expecting him to go to Portugal during the early part of the summer, of following the Fraternity vacation. However, they decided it would be best for him to go during Holy Week. We had our final run together on Monday March 30th, and we would leave for Portugal on Tuesday. I was hoping that we would have had the opportunity to meet my parents, but that will have to wait. I really had a connection with him, learned a lot being patient with him, and learning to befriend him for who he truly is. Every run together, he would bring cookies and snacks for a couple of gods that he had befriended over the years. There was one huge black dog that we would always stop and feed, and chat with. I teased him a bit calling him St. Francis, and we had planned to take a picture of the big black dog with a cell phone camera, but the opportunity did not come about.
My friend Ottavio from Brazil decided to go home as well, making it known to the community during the last week of March and leaving for Brazil on April 3rd. He was very nice, and friendly with me. I find it hard to see friends go, especially those who have been good friends, people who I could count on, to be with me, and help me be more fully myself. This is an area I need to grow in, trying to become more aware of the importance of distance, and what enables us to be apart is the friendship with the community, and our bond with Communion and Liberation. Being in Christ together, someone is greater than the distance, however, it must take up all of us, especially our affection, mind and heart. It is nice that we are given this time to grow and mature and see the grandeur of the fraternity. What this friendship is all about, and how it is to become the foundation of our lives, the rock upon which we can do our work as missionary priests all over the world. It is wild, however, I am happy because these questions have been brought to light. Am I capable of this life, has what I met convinced me that I am capable of this life, how do I understand my familial relations, what is my filial relationship like, who are fatherly figures for me, am I being re-generated, what are my friendships, how do they help to be more fully myself?
The last week of March was spent preparing for my parents arrival, trying to tie up all loose ends, and finish up the Augustine paper. On Tuesday March 31, we met for our symposium on Augustine which was a fantastic encounter. And My parents were to arrive the following day. I had organized a lunch for them with don Massimo and don Jonah, and supper with all the guys in first year. I mentioned to everyone at the end of the symposium, well reminded them to prepare for my parents arrival, and brush up on their English skills.
The next month’s reflection will begin with my parents visit to the house of formation, and their visit to Ro
No comments:
Post a Comment